How to Download and Install WordPress
- 6 min read
- Bojan Zidarević
One of the best ways to create a website is by using a pre-made content management system (CMS), especially if you don’t have a huge budget. And as far as CMSs’ go, WordPress is the definitely the best way to go.
In his article you will learn how to download and install WordPress.WordPress is the easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system in existence today.
Although there are many content management systems to choose from out there (Joomla, Drupal etc), WordPress is usually the best choice for most people. Over 72 million active users are using WordPress. Around 30% of all sites on the internet run on WordPress.
Let’s take a quick look why WordPress is the best choice for creating websites.
- It’s easy to install. Most hosting services have one click installation options for WordPress given the number of people who use it.
- Open source. This means it’s free and used by a lot of people. Aside from cutting down on expenses, this also means that there’s a large community behind it, so if you get stuck with something, you can always ask people to help you out.
- Ideal for non tech-savvy entrepreneurs who want to establish their online presence in a quick and cost-effective way.
- Highly customizable. You can download a lot of free (or paid) themes and have them installed on your website in minutes.
In this article I’ll talk about how to download and install WordPress, and how to choose the best hosting.
WordPress.com or WordPress.org?
Before you begin, you have to choose between using WordPress.com or WordPress.org. They are actually two different platforms.What’s the difference?
In short, one is a completely free version, and the other has some costs associated with it (hosting), but offers more options.Let’s take a look at both of them.
WordPress.com platform is good for hobby bloggers, students and freelancers. The basic packages is free, and everything is set up for you immediately – enabling you to focus on creating content without having to worry about the technical side.
On the other hand, there are some serious disadvantages with this platform:
- The platform will immediately place ads on your website (even if you don’t want them to), and they will take all the revenues from the ads for themselves. That’s a big problem if you have a website with a lot of traffic and you want to earn something by selling ad space.
- You cannot upload custom themes or plugins. You will have access to a lot of predefined themes and some plugins, but if you want to customize your website the way you want it, you will have to pay to upgrade on some of the paid plans (and even then, your customization options won’t be that great)
- com does not offer any eCommerce features or integrated payment gateways. So if you’re thinking of opening a webshop for your small business, you won’t be able to.
WordPress.org platform is 100% open source and free for everyone to use. However, you will have to pay for dedicated hosting, but that usually costs less than 10€ per month.
Here are the main benefits of using WordPress.org to build your website:
- You have full control over your website. This is the crucial benefit WordPress.org offers – if you use it, you will complete control over your website’s design, themes, plugins you choose to install, advertisement methods (if you decided to use them), and so on.
- You can make money from your website be selling ad space, selling your products through a webshop, or by using any other method of earning money online.
- You own your website and its data completely.
In short, WordPress.com is a decent choice for part-time bloggers, students, and everyone who wants to blog occasionally as a hobby. But WordPress.org offers so many advanced options, and gives you a complete control over your website, that choosing a platform for your professional website is a no-brainer.
You can check out a handy infographic about pros and cons of both platforms here, but I highly recommend self-hosted WordPress.org.
Download and install WordPress
I’ll assume you’ve chosen WordPress.org as your CMS. There are two ways to download and install it, and start building your website:
- Automatically (usually through a 1-click install process provided by all major web hosts)
Manual download and installation can get complicated if you’re not tech-savvy, and it doesn’t offer any advantages over the automatic installation, so I’ll explain only the later. If you want to manually install WordPress, there’s a good guide here.
Prior to installing WordPress through a webhost, you must complete these two steps:
- Register a domain name
- Choose a hosting provider
I’ve already talked about these topics, so I’ll assume you know how to do that. If you need clarification, check out this article.The first thing you need to do is login to hosting account (in this example BlueHost), and then on your cPanel dashboard scroll to the website section.
Click on Install WordPress icon or 1-click Install. They will both take you to the MOJO Marketplace where you will see an overview about WordPress with an Install button. You need to click on the install button to continue.
MOJO Marketplace will now ask you where you want to install WordPress. Simply select your domain name from the dropdown menu and click on the check domain button.The final step is to name your website, choose your main email address associated with the website and so on. Once you’re done, click on the Install button.
Your installation will begin, and you will be able to see a progress bar. It will take only a few minutes. You need to wait on this page for it to finish.
Congratulations, you have just downloaded and installed WordPress!You can log in to your admin dashboard, and start optimizing your new website.
Downloading and installing WordPress is not that hard. I always recommend using self-hosted WordPress.org as the best option if you’re a serious freelancer, small business owner, or if you sell products online.
If you need help with creating a WordPress website, contact us today, and we’ll be glad to help you out.
How Content Marketing Works
If you are an owner of a business and want to stand out from the competition, content marketing is something you should really put your efforts in. As we all know, traditional marketing strategies are becoming less effective on a daily basis. That is because the world has basically moved online, so marketing had to…
Magento 2 product categories
Product categories are key to building an effective catalog and user navigation to help customers find the products they want as easily as possible.The user category structure in the main menu can affect user experience and performance. As a best practice, it is usually best to identify one top category and avoid that there are…
SEO Link building
When it comes to SEO, there are numerous things you can do to improve your ranking on search engines. One of the most important parts of SEO – and simultaneously one of the hardest – is SEO Link building. You want to create a network of links on other sites (backlinks) that lead back to…
What to do if you end up on the Yandex Blacklist
Yandex is a russian international corporation specializing in internet services and products. It is incorporated in the Netherlands and primary used by the public in Russia. Yandex is ranked as the 4th largest search engine in the world. Yandex’s main competitors on the Russian market are Google, Mail.ru, and Rambler.Yandex Safe BrowsingYandex Safe Browsing verifies…